Tuesday 12 February 2013

Iron Man vs Superman

Today I feel awful. This is day three of being sick, day two being home from work. It's given me time to think, though, and I've reached a conlusion: I really, really want to see Iron Man 3 far more than I would ever want to see Man of Steel. Minor spoilers below as to why.

Having seen trailers for both, Man of Steel already looks like it's diverged significantly from the source material. The trailer depicts a teenage Clark Kent saving a bus load of kids from certain death, thus risking outing himself for having superhuman abilities. When he is then shown talking to his Earth Dad, played by Kevin Costner, Clark asks, "Should I have let them die?"

Clark's Dad gives the single most UNcharacteristic response one could imagine, "Maybe." What?!? Clark becomes Superman because his Earth parents teach him the value of being a good person and helping others, not because they taught him that protecting his identity was more important than saving people. Yeah, that deflated pretty much any excitement I had to see the film. I'll still give it a fair chance, but I am unsure, to say the least.

Iron Man 3, on the other hand, is the next film in an already massively successful franchise. Well, two. Iron Man 1 & 2 were both amazing films, and both led into the Avengers along with the other Marvel Phase One films. I want to see how Tony Stark copes with the fallout from the Avengers movie. I want to see Iron Man prove that he can still carry an independent film without his super buddies there to help him. I want to see him face his Arch-Nemesis, the Mandarin, at long last. Mostly, I want Phase Two to be underway so that we can get to the next Avengers film.

I want to see Marvel continue to deliver the goods on their films, but I'm also curious to see if Iron Man 3 will have any lead-ins to the new SHIELD TV series coming this fall.

Maybe I'm biased, but feel free to weigh in on the comments, DC fans.

8 comments:

  1. yeah he says maybe, but 10 bucks says that in the actual film he says "maybe...but" and then launches into a speech about how doing right is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entirely possible, but what a heckuva first impression, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I heard they were not using John Williams' score for Man Of Steel I lost interest. A Superman movie without the Superman music?!?
    Can you imagine a Jaws Movie or Star Wars movie without the John Williams' score?
    I dont think they are ever going to beat Christopher Reeves Superman movies (well, the first two anyway), so they shouldnt bother.
    Iron Man 3 on the other hand I am very much looking forward to. Also Captain America: Winter Soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to add that it may seem silly to get all huffy about the lack of a certain score in a movie, but to me it is crucial.
    Superman Returns wasnt a very good movie in my opinion, but as soon as I heard the opening few bars of the theme song in the cinema, my hair stood on end and I was 6 years old again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score is vital, totally agree. The problem is that the new film is a new beginning, a new franchise. A new score is essential, same with the newer Batman films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see where you are coming from, but the one problem with that is that there isnt really a score or song that is identified strongly with Batman like the Superman or Star Wars movies. (Unless you count the 60's Adam West TV show theme song which was wrong on so many levels).

    I get your point on a new beginning, and I will obviously watch Man of Steel at some point, but I did feel disappointed when they said no to Williams' score :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read Empire magazine's article on Man of Steel. More in the next blog entry, maybe, but we'll say that I'm now actually very interested in seeing this film and leave it that for now.

    ReplyDelete